Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Are Celebrities victims of "Defamation" ?


I was browsing through the interent looking for some articles on defamation for my Business Law class and I came across a very interesting one, that relates to my blogs. It was titled "Celebrity Lawsuits" and it discusses celebrities who have sued for libel, slander and defamation of character. Defamation occurrs frequently in the media. We hear rumors everyday on TV , in the newspaper and in magazines. However, I feel we see it most with celebrities. I feel that they definitely have it the hardest with slander and libel. There is always something in new about celebrities that is very demeaning and can damage their reputation and ultimately their career. The thing that gets me the most is half the stuff the media uses to get the publics attention isn't even true. The stuff that is true is really of no great significance and shouldn't even be publicated to other parties. For example, why must we all know that Britney Spears didn't wear underwear under her dress. Or why does anyone care that Cameron Diaz takes topless pictures. The media is so absurd and this is the kind of stuff they try to use to gain more publicity. Although some of the statements they may make about celebrities are indeed the truth, they must be very cautious when claiming a statement of fact. I feel that what the media tells the public is really not a need to know basis and I feel that they really don't have qualified privlage to make claims about celebrities to just be more entertaining. I feel that the media acts with extreme reckless disregard for the truth and privacy of celebrities. According to the article I found, there have been many cases in which celebrities have sued for libel and slander, which draws a conclusion that celebrities are in fact victims of defamation, just as we all are. To read up on these cases , check out the website: http://www.personal-injury-info.net/celebrity-lawsuits.htm.